Pages

Friday, June 4, 2010

The First Step to Weight Loss Success: Become Aware

We run on autopilot for ninety-five to ninety-nine percent of our day. We operate on pre-programmed (usually negative) beliefs systems that run in the background (our subconscious) and they determine who we are and what we do. The only--and I repeat--ONLY way to change our subconscious beliefs and take control of our lives is to consciously create new lasting behaviours. How do we do this? Well, the first step is to become aware.

What is awareness?

Awareness is simply being present wherever you are at the moment. When we become aware we move from a subconscious to a conscious state. We pay attention to and control our thoughts and reactions to our environment. Here's the best part: when we operate from a conscious state of mind, we can't operate from a subconscious state, which puts our automatic responses and behaviors on hold.

Let me ask you this. If our subconscious mind is a million times stronger than our conscious mind, and it runs ninety to ninety-five percent of our day, without our consent, is it any wonder that we can't seem to change our behavior?

Here's an example: I'm in the kitchen at the office making a cup of coffee. While it's brewing, I turn and see a box of donuts sitting on the table that someone's brought into work. I grab one, without thinking (automatic, subconscious behavior), and before I realize what just happened, it's gone. Now what?

Feelings of guilt, anger, blame, resentment . . . flood into my body. Now the self-talk; 'I hate myself. How could I? I have no control. I'll always be fat . . .'

Sound familiar?

How do we begin to change?

The first thing to do when confronted with food temptation is to pause. This snaps you out of your subconscious mind. Take a moment before you simply react, breathe deeply for a couple of breaths (no one needs to know you're doing this), and begin to ask yourself some questions. Why do I want this? Am I really hungry? Are there better, healthier choices? Do I want it simply because it's there? What are the consequences? THIS IS IMPORTANT. How will I FEEL about this later?

The most important part of becoming aware is that it gives you control over your environment. You can override negative, subconscious beliefs about yourself and your life, and become the creator of your world.

Give it a try. It takes concentration, consistency, and effort, but over time, you'll be amazed at the changes in your behavior.

No comments: