Life is never what it appears to be, so having specific goals and a solid vision of where you're headed (your radar) will help you correct any circumstance that tries to blow you off course.
One of the greatest lessons I've learned is that nothing in life is permanent. But as long as I have a clear focus and a goal, I can stay on course no matter what. When life gets in the way, instead of giving up, I change course--shifting, adjusting, or adapting to a situation in order to stay afloat.
I usually have a clear idea of the number and types of workouts that I want to do each week. And, I'm very aware of the purpose of those workouts: interval workouts will build my cardiovascular endurance so that I can enjoy my longer bike rides and hikes, and resistance training will strengthen my muscles, decreasing fatigue and workload when I'm out on my adventures. But sometimes life gets in the way, and I have to make other plans.
I recently had a spontaneous weekend away, and instead of postponing workouts until we got back, I decided to improvise a little. I had planned a weight workout for Thursday night, but since we would be on the road, we got up a little earlier Thursday morning and did a short, intense, interval bike ride before work. Friday night was supposed to be a longer bike ride, but instead, we took exercise bands with us and did an intense, twenty minute, full-body workout in the hotel room before a day of shopping.
It was important for me to stay on schedule with my workout plan; I had a goal and remained focused. With a couple of modifications and adjustments I was able to stay on track, and instead of feeling guilty for passing on the workouts, my body and mind were grateful.
Remember, a change in plans doesn't mean failure. It simply allows us to use our creative skills to adjust our course and navigate towards our vision. Staying connected to our goals gives us power and options when life gets in the way.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
--George Bernard Shaw
Podcast #348:The Final Episode
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment