Pages

Friday, June 4, 2010

Why Awareness is a Vital Step in Behavior Change

In the last post, I introduced you to the concept of awareness. Now let's look more closely at why being consciously aware of our behaviors is so important to your weight loss efforts.

Awareness gives you the power

You can't control your behavior, therefore, your life, if you're not aware of what you're doing. When you become present, your thoughts, actions, and behaviors are controlled by your conscious mind, not the subconscious beliefs that run the show when you're not looking. And, let's face it, most of the time we're not looking. When you slow down and become aware of your thoughts and behaviors, you're better equipped to create new, healthy behaviors and make them stick.

Here's how it works. Let's go back to our donut example from the previous post. Instead of grabbing the donut and unconsciously wolfing it down, I pause for a second. The fact that I pause means I've moved into a conscious way of thinking. I've temporarily stepped out of my subconscious programming. Yay!

Now I ask myself, 'Do I really want this and why?' My answer: Yes, I want it. Because it tastes sooooo good, and will make me feel darn good right now. As soon as I eat the donut dopamine will flood my brain and I'll feel fantastic, for a mere second. Who am I kidding . . . ? Bingo--wrong reason to eat a donut, although I can't really think of a good one.

'Am I hungry?' Answer: No. I just ate breakfast. How can I be hungry?

Hmmmm, and finally, 'How will I feel right after I've eaten this donut?' Answer: Not good. I'll feel guilty and angry and ashamed and my day will be ruined. I'll be cranky and miserable and starve myself for the rest of day. Interesting, all of the things my subconscious mind desperately wants me to feel so that it can validate all those negative beliefs I've had since childhood: I'm a failure; I'm stupid; I don't deserve happiness; I feel bad. . . . Well, I'm simply not playing that game.

Guess what? After all that, I don't want the donut anymore. My coffee's ready, and I'm going back to my desk to enjoy it and feel good about myself.

After years of using this simple weight loss technique, I rarely follow through on the initial temptation.

Now, that's not to say that I never cheat or fall victim to cravings and temptations. I do. But through consistent, conscious effort over the years, my internal belief system says that I no longer need food for instant gratification. Through regular practice, I've changed my brain. More on that later!

If I, a recovering anorexic and bulimic, can do it, so can you. Give it a try. Like anything, the more you do it, the better you get. (I'll explain why in later posts.) Your goal is to make it a subconscious way of being, so that you no longer have to think.

No comments: